It’s all about delighting the end user (the consumer), and the end users are becoming more demanding.
Traditional IT and support structures cannot met these consumer needs and support business objectives. To succeed in the market, to satisfy these consumer’s needs, Enterprises are turning to Hybrid Cloud to achieve Optimization (cost efficiency, stability/performance) and Innovation (creating new value, speed).
As part of this inflection point, the nature of the applications (both development and operations) is fundamentally transforming in the era of Cloud
- (what) Focus on Infrastructure Domains is shifting to focus on applications and end user experience (…. Infrastructure only matters in the context of applications and services it delivers)
- (where) IT in Centralized datacenters is moving to cloud and hybrid models with mobile device access
- (who) IT operators are mixing and collaborating with Developers and Application Owners – with more overlapping tasks in the DevOps continuum
To meet these challenges requires greater visibility and control of the application and infrastructure to improve service quality and ensure great user experience. Providing fast service/application delivery while keeping costs low requires agility, flexibility and greater levels of automation.
IBM’s IT Service Management portfolio solution is about helping you address these challenges: lower costs and speed innovation. It helps:
- Line of Business fuel innovation with great applications/services and proactively manage user satisfaction
- Application Developers deliver these new applications/capabilities that delight the user, more quickly without compromise (quality)
- IT Operations provide infrastructure and support for these business applications, on-time and at low cost.
We can categorize the set of capabilities needed to meet these business challenges into four main categories (remember though that these cannot be independent siloes)…
Operations helps IT operations teams consolidate, reduce and prioritize their business service impacting events and alarms (more efficient and agile)
Application (and Infrastructure Performance) Management helps IT operations and application support teams increase the delivery velocity of new business applications/services, and optimize the performance of these applications/services and their underlying infrastructure.
Automation helps client cut costs, accelerate service delivery and automate business processes – across physical assets, IT and Cloud.
Operations Analytics analyzes the big data produced by IT systems to predict outage and drive efficiencies.